The third Age of Wonders title revives the classic fantasy strategy gameplay of the original, where kings, queens, and dark lords battle for the spoils of an ancient paradise. This iteration adds RPG-inspired classes and specialization, letting rulers craft empires of their own design and craft their own unique strategies and play styles.
Key features include:
● Explore, expand and exploit a living fantasy world. Discover wondrous locations and gather legendary heroes.
● Develop your domain, with many classes having the ability to change terrain and climates to suit your needs.
● All new 3D graphics that provide a crisper and more detailed overview of the world and battle maps.
● New styles of play are possible with the introduction of RPG style leader classes like warlord, theocrat, rogue and sorcerer, along with a wide selection of specializations.
● Command a variety of races. Pick your starting race and shape your people’s destiny using your leader’s unique skills.
● A brand-new tactical battle system renders each battlefield and siege in great detail; new rules include flanking and a massive set of special unit abilities.
● An epic story campaign with two playable factions;. Choose the mighty Commonwealth Empire or join the Court of the High Elves, founded after the reunion of the Dark Elves and Wood Elves.
● Compete online in extensive multiplayer modes and scenarios.
● High replay value through random maps, difficulty modes and tools allowing user created content.
After an eleven year break from the genre, we've gone back to our roots and re-imagined the fantasy strategy series that started our studio. With Age of Wonders III, we've added game play innovations, like the addition of RPG style leader classes that allow players to shape their empires in their own image using extensive skill trees. An investment from Notch (a fan of series) allowed us to create a fully-loaded sequel, with empire building, detailed tactical combat, a story driven single player campaign, random maps and online multiplayer. The game’s large amount of content and malleable environments were translated to detailed 3D graphics. Accompanied by a magical soundtrack, players can lose themselves for hundreds of hours in an engrossing fantasy world. An additional milestone for the team was our first venture into self-publishing. While developing this large game, we learned a lot from handling our own marketing, PR and (retail) distribution partners. AoW3 was released as a full-price PC game; we were both proud and a little nervous that we were being directly compared to the large established strategy PC franchises. We think Age of Wonders III has stood up to the test well: although being in development for three and a half years, it gained profitability a day after release and introduced many new fans to the series. We are very happy with the critical acclaim and even more so with the reactions from the original fans, who had been waiting so long for a new Age of Wonders.